Established on July 19, 1921, the Mongolian telegraphic agency MONTSAME, originally MONTA, is one of the oldest media organizations in the country. Headquartered in the capital Ulaanbaatar city, MONTSAME Agency employs a total of 108 staffs including correspondents in 21 provinces as well as in Moscow and Beijing.
Being an active member of the Organization of Asia-Pacific News Agencies (OANA) which unites 44 news agencies of 35 regional countries, MONTSAME distributes its news in video, text and image formats to the official website of OANA www.oananews.org on a daily basis, and exchanges news with other member agencies.
At the 14th OANA General Assembly held in Istanbul, Turkey in 2010, MONTSAME was elected as the Executive Board member for the first time, and worked for 6 consecutive years. At the 16th General Assembly held in Baku, Azerbaijan in 2016, MONTSAME was elected as a member of the organization’s technical committee.
MONTSAME has been focusing on its external cooperation as a result of which the agency has cooperation agreements with Xinhua of People’s Republic of China, TASS and Rossiya Segodnya of Russian Federation, Reuters of the UK, Thomson Reuters Foundation, Nikkei and Kyodo News of Japan, Yonhap of the Republic of Korea, VNA of Vietnam, Prensa Latina of the Republic of Cuba, PAP of Poland, BTA of Bulgaria, Anadolu of the Republic of Turkey, Ukrinform of Ukraine, VOA of the US, AZERTAC and Trend of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Kazinform of Kazakhstan, KCNA of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, IRNA and Mehr of Iran, PTI of the Republic of India and CNA of Taiwan. In frames of the agreements, MONTSAME exchanges news and photographs, as well as staff with the partner agencies.
Main functions of MONTSAME Agency
1. Collecting and providing timely news reports on local events to the domestic authorities and government agencies, media outlets and the general public
2. Receiving and translating the latest breaking news stories from international news agencies, and delivering them to the Mongolian audience
3. Promoting Mongolia’s history, culture and national development to the audience outside of Mongolia
Keeping abreast with media development - Web site in 5 languages
The MONTSAME Agency first had a complete internet access in 1997 and launched its website to offer daily news contents in Mongolian, Russian and English languages to the global audiences. In 2014, a new website full of contents in Mongolian, English, Chinese, Russian and Japanese was put into effect. This step of MONTSAME to move forward with the global media progressions is the first ever online news channel in various languages in Mongolia. Its Mongolian language version www.montsame.mn is prepared by Local News Desk and Foreign News desk. The English and Russian versions of the website en.montsame.mn and ru.montsame.mn are presented by the News for Abroad Desk. Also, the Chinese language cn.montsame.mn and Japanese language jp.montsame.mn are delivered by ‘Menggu Xiao xi bao’ and ‘Mongoru Tsushin’ newspaper desks.
Also, the Agency is widely utilizing different types of channels, such as social media platforms Facebook, Twitter and Youtube with a view to distribute multimedia news stories with photos, audio, video, clips and texts and reach out to the public.
For local audience:
- Daily news website www.montsame.mn
- Weekly newspaper in traditional Mongolian script ‘Khumuun Bichig’
- Website of ‘Khumuun Bichig’ newspaper http://khumuunbichig.montsame.mn/
- Weekly booklet ‘MONTSAME news’ carrying news and reviews about Mongolia
For foreign audience:
- Daily booklets ‘MONTSAME Daily news’ in English and ‘MONTSAME Novosty’ in Russian
- Daily news videos in English by ‘MONTA’ TV studio
- Weekly newspaper ‘NovostyMongolii’ in Russian language
- Weekly newspaper ‘The Mongol Messenger’ in English language
- Weekly newspaper ‘Mongoru Tsushin’ in Japanese language
- Weekly newspaper ‘Menggu Xiao xi bao’ in Chinese language